2015 to 2020: Director of Lighting, IMS Technology Services, Event Staging division. Design/engineer lighting/rigging/power for scores of corporate theatrical events ranging from 100 seat ballrooms to 10,000+ seat conference centers/arenas/stadiums.
- On boarded full time and freelance labor to fulfill needs of the lighting dept. and corporate theater productions nationwide.
- Collaborated with integration division to create pre-virtualized environments to land projects worth over $750,000.
- Built online training portal to train technicians & staff in the use of Vectorworks, Lighting/Audio/Video systems and Ops.
1984 to Present: Freelance Theatrical Designer USA829 and all-round theater professional. My approach to design varies according to the project. Some projects require an environment in which the event takes place. Other projects require a more fluid approach allowing the environments to be proactive or reactive to the events taking place. The latter is more character driven as the environment may interact with the characters on stage. I.e. switching a light switch, or reacting to lightning. Lighting, scenic and sound design for musical, comedy, and dramatic productions, corporate parties and events. Online portfolio at www.scpld.com
1985 to Present: Freelance Production Stage Manager/Technical Director. I have served as a producer, production stage manager and/or stage manager and technical director/supervisor for various projects including corporate type events (see Super Saturday below).
- Stage manager member of Actors Equity Association with NY and touring experience.
- Supervision of projects as a freelance production manager and/or technical director/supervisor.
- Technical Supervisor for corporate events held in ballrooms, museums, and conference centers.
July 2005 to Present: Producer of annual Stage Lighting Super Saturday, NYC, Atlanta and L.A. (Small business owner.)
Producer (founded with Sonny Sonnenfeld) of professional all-day lighting workshops attended by young designers, teachers, and students. This seminar features theater professionals presenting various topics relating to current lighting practices.
- Notable speakers Ken Billington, Howell Binkley, Beverly Emmons, Don Holder, Natasha Katz, Richard Pilbrow and Jennifer Tipton.
- Hosted 25 lighting technology manufacturers to display their equipment. Altman, Martin Pro, Strand, Rosco, Lee, GAM, more.
- Contracted venues, talent, staff, insurance, catering, transportation, event booking services, etc.
Aug-Nov 2015 Regional Sales Manager, Creative Stage Lighting Inc.
Lighting Equipment sales and consulting for national distributor of stage lighting equipment. Built and maintained relationships with dealer network. Achieved $250k in sales per month. 8/8/15-11/3/15
May, 2008, 2009: on Faculty of the Broadway Lighting Master Class, NYC
Presentation of plotting techniques during Live Design Magazine’s annual master class; Jules Fisher-creative director.
June 1988-1994: Freelance Television News Cameraman, ENG Services and American Television News, NYC Breaking news cameraman covering events in and around New York City. TV News Cameraman with footage appearing on all NYC News programs. National networks include ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, and CNBC. Good Morning America, 48 Hours, Regis Philbin, more.
1986-1992 SCUBA Network (Sales and Training): Instructor and retail sales for chain of eight stores in the tri-state area plus Florida.
- Promoted to Training Director and office manager. Supervised training programs covering 3000 students.
- Created advance-training programs for training dive masters and instructors.
- Supervised companywide POS system including remote backup protocols and sales polling.
Memberships: USA829, EIS, USITT, AEA (SM), ESTA/PLASA, AAUP, EDTA, SMA, ETCP certified Rigger & Electrician
Publications/Presentations: USITT National Conferences, Thespians, Stage Directions, Dramatics, more…
2015-2018: Adjunct Faculty, Rutgers University, Mason Gross school of the Arts. Teaching AutoCAD to technology students.
Spring 2015: Adjunct Graduate Faculty, Temple University, Philadelphia PA. Teaching graduate lighting design.
Aug. 2009 to June 2014: Faculty Technical Director and then Lighting Designer, Columbus State Univ. in Columbus GA. Lecturer of Theater Technology. Duties: teaching and mentoring students in NAST accredited theater program with 165 majors. Supervising staff and students working in a three-theater performing arts complex.
- Built $36K moving light lab system with Vari*Lite, High End, and Robe fixtures. Hog3 control board via education grant.
- Initiated new curriculum with lighting technology and advanced lighting design classes.
Aug. 2007 to 2009: Faculty Lighting/Sound Designer, Johnny Carson School of Theatre & Film, U. of Nebraska-Lincoln NE Graduate faculty assistant professor of lighting and sound design. Teach graduate and undergraduate classes in lighting levels one, two, and three, rigging, computer lighting control, stage electrics, sound design and technology. Design and/or mentor graduate and undergraduate lighting and sound design students during department produced main-stage production process.
- Built $25K moving light lab utilizing Martin Professional automated fixtures and High End’s Hog3 control system.
- Supervised lighting and sound graduate assistants and maintained technical budgets and service shops.
Sept. 2004-June 2007: Faculty Lighting/Sound Designer/Technical Director, Pace University, New York NY Assistant professor of Theater Technology. Lighting design and technology, sound and acoustics, stage management, stagecraft, production crew, civic engagement, introduction to theater, and CAD. Achieved/created new BFA Built moving light lab utilizing Robe America automated fixtures and High End’s Hog3 control system. Authored civic engagement program involving NYC public schools.
Sept. 1999-June 2004: Faculty Designer/Technical Director, NYC Dept. of Education, Edward R. Murrow HS, Brooklyn NY The design/technical program involved over 200 students working on 20 annual productions including Broadway style musicals, dance and music concerts, dramas and more. Students were assigned positions of responsibility at all levels of the production process.
- Designed and supervised installation of a new $300,000 lighting system and $80,000 sound system and CAD lab.
I am a problem solver, active thinker and team leader. I like to help people achieve success.